Thursday, August 26, 2010

Introducing. . .


Madeline Susanne
Born 8/22/10
10:33 p.m.
6 lbs 12 oz
20 inches long

Having convinced myself that I was going to be overdue with this child, I was unprepared to go into labor (on my own--apparently my body is actually capable of that!) on Sunday.  I had contractions all Saturday night (annoying, but not really uncomfortable), contractions all through church (uncomfortable, but liveable), contractions as I sent John out to his moonlighting assignment (45 minutes away), contractions on my Sunday afternoon walk with the girls (quite uncomfortable), contractions when John came home and I was cooking dinner (I couldn't talk through them very well by that point).  I couldn't emotionally set myself up for disappointment by considering that I could be in labor EIGHT DAYS EARLY.  I was trying to tell John that he was going to be fine a) going in to deliver his patient who was laboring in the hospital, and b) completing another moonlighting assignment in the ER that night.  Fortunately, John was better able to contemplate the possibility, and he set up contingency plans for his responsibilities.  
Lucky he did.  By 7:30, I was pacing the rooms during contractions (in John's words) "like a caged animal".  We hurriedly set up child care for the night (thank you, Larisssa!!) and were admitted to the hospital by 8:30.  Even as they were putting in my IV (with me jumping off the bed every time a contraction would hit, trying to move my way around the pain), I couldn't believe that I was actually going to have a baby that night.  I got my epidural at 9:45 and finally believed it.  Also, I finally relaxed.   Ahhh. . . epidural.

Relief lasted 35 minutes.  Pushed two? three? times with the assistance of my lovely nurse, Cheryl. . . 

. . . and met Madeline.  My doctor had said, during one check earlier in the process, that this baby was probably going to be bald.  He was almost right.  :)

Her sisters love her.

We all love her.  

What a lucky family we are.

21 comments:

dusty and meag said...

I love how you make everything look easy and you do things with such style. First of all, you look about 4 months pregnant in your photo with the girls (a couple posts back) and then you deliver the most delicous looking baby with cute hair and gorgeous skin (I'm talking abou you em). I had chubby, swollen and chubby body, bad hair, no makeup, and I'm not sure I had even showered in a couple days. You are my hero!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations! Madeline is one of my very favorite names. I love her hair! Emilee - you really do look amazing in all of those pictures!

Lyle said...

I've said this before, but every family should have a Mad Susie.

Annie said...

is it just me or does she look navajo?
i can dig it.

Kate said...

Oh, I was just thinking of you when this post came into my reader! HOORAY for you! Madeline is so so lovely. Her hair is great. That's what Paige's hair looked like. You also look quite amazing for having labored all on your own for an entire day. I'm so happy for you.

brittani c. said...

I'm really loving the mental image of you pacing around like a caged animal. Welcome, baby Madeline! She looks just like your other girls...and whoa, that hair is gorgeous.

Steph said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful and we love, love, love the name and her hair is amazing. Imagine my surprise when I thought I'd check your blog to see the girlies first school days, and wham, the new addition had arrived, had no idea you were so close. Celine and my favorite halloween costumes were Madeline and her teacher/friend Miss Clavel nun one year, no one recognized me and the nun costumer was quite warm too. When the time is right, Em, you too can be Mlss Clavel with Madeline. We love you, John and your family, we are so happy for you. Thank you for the beautiful pictures, you do this like a pro now.

cowbell kelly said...

Those are dang cute photos of the girls with her. And you look really good! I looked like I'd been dunked in a toilet.

Bonnie said...

I love her so much already. Such a sweet little girl! As always you look amazing in your pictures Emilee. I think you could add this as one of your many talents...always looking good! Congrats on your new addition. I can't wait to hold her again!

Sara said...

She's just so dang darling. I can't wait to get my hands on her.

You are beautiful, my friend. What good genes your beautiful girls got!

cowbell kelly said...

:) I agree with Annie, Mad Susie looks like a Papoose!!

Shelly and Ken said...

Wow!, that is a good head of hair. Congratulations, you really look amazing, I would not guess that you were the one that had the baby.

Nat said...

Congrats!! She is adorable and her big sisters look so proud. I would love to come see her, but we have colds at our house. We will stay far away until they are gone! Let me know what I can do to help.

dockters said...

Madeline is adorable!! Congrats to you!! Her hair is unbelieveable! Did all your girls have that much hair? 4 little girls...how fun!

CK Black Family said...

Congratulations Wells family! What a beautiful bunch!

Mike and Kelly said...

With a nicknames like Mads, and Maddie, you know you are going to have a bit of a spitfire. Congrats dear. She is lovely. And I love that you denied that you were in labor. LOVE THAT. SO so so funny.

Cynthia said...

Congrats!! How great that she is a girl and already has hair!! My girls are always bald;)
And how awesome to go into labor on your own. Maybe I'll experience that someday!

Aaron & Nancy said...

Love that hair and I love the name! We now have two girls with same names; however, ours is Madelyn so it may be pronounced differently. In any case, congrats!

Congrats on your new calling that was announced today. Lots of good things for the Wells family!

Millie @ The Busy Butlers said...

She is gorgeous! And I LOVE her name!!! Congratulations girls! (and John ;) )

Shanda said...

Oh Emilee!!! She is so beautiful!!! Congratulations! I'm so happy everything went so well for you! You looked so small in your previous pictures! I hope I look that great at 8 months!!! I love her beautiful hair too! Too many exclamation points!!! I'm just so happy for you! Those pictures make me super anxious for my little one...20 more weeks!

EP said...

Congrats to you and your family!! And a speedy recovery to you! :)