Saturday, October 2, 2010

Not Further Evidence

 The following are not further evidence of my poor mothering.  They are simply evidence of my idiocy.  Since an eyeshadow container had crumbled in my makeup box, I decided to empty the box of its contents, rinse the shimmery powder of each item, and stack them to dry on the side of my bathroom sink.  The makeup box itself needed something more intense, so I took it down to the kitchen sink so I could use a Brillo pad.  I got distracted on the telephone for a few minutes with a darling friend, and I neglected to remember the cardinal rule of toddler-watching.
Silence is ominous.
However, to show that my stupidity is balanced by my genius, let me present these pieces of evidence:

1) I only buy 93-cent lipstick.  So my financial loss was minimal.
2) I have trained Bella to raise her hands in the air and hold them there when she has made a mess and I am cleaning it up.  Therefore, although an entire tube of lipstick was used as a drawing utensil on her face and the toilet and the sink and everything on top of the toilet or sink, there were no lipstick-y handprints anywhere.  And her dress (a Hanna Andersson that I picked up on clearance and I LOVE) remained pristine.  
3) I took pictures first, laughed second, and cleaned up last.  Genius.



10 comments:

cowbell kelly said...

You are a genius!!!! I'm now going to teach my Ruth to hold up her hands when I don't want her to touch anything.

Lyndsay said...

I think she's showing some promise as a future make-up artist. While she didn't stay within the lines (of her lips), she's well ahead of those her age.

And where do you find Hannah Andersson on clearance?

Emilee said...

There's a Hanna Andersson outlet in Michigan City. It's pretty sweet. That dress cost me $1.72. Can you even believe it?

Lyle said...

Punish her by saying you will take her to Walmart.

Bonnie said...

Oh how I love Bella! So glad you were able to laugh!

Anonymous said...

How cute! My mother said when I was a young kid, I made quite a mess . . . as well.

Story Family said...

I already knew you were a genius and this just proves it. LOVE that picture of Bella. Classic! Kelsey still makes the same kind of messes....except on poor, unsuspecting neighbor kids. Darn...

brittani c. said...

I like the hands-up-in-the air solution. What little girl hasn't played in and sampled their mother's make-up bag? Let's hope she steers clear away from the nail polish.

Lyle said...

She's clearly two years old, but she's also clearly quite a girl. BTW, did you know today is my magic birthday? Interestingly, I celebrate mine in 2010, but I have two granddaughters (Livvi and Mimi) who have already had their Magic Birthdays in 2006 and 2008, and my daughter Emilee won't have hers until 2058. This is truly an amazing world.

Elizabeth Reid said...

She is the perfect mess-maker it seems! I love that she is covered in lipstick, yet remembers what her mom told her about what to do in such a situation. Awesome post!