Sunday, November 18, 2007

Maybe we need to work on our Family Home Evenings.

Olivia put on Mimi's "scripture specs" from nursery on the way home from church, and she won't take them off. She's firmly convinced of their beauty.
Two conversations that happened today:
#1
Setting: Sacrament Meeting, the sacrament is being passed
Olivia: Um, Mom, there's a problem.
Me: What?
Liv: I keep thinking about Barney.
Me: What??
Liv: I keep thinking about Barney instead of Jesus.
(Clearly we are very spiritual people.)

#2
Setting: In the van on the way home from church
Raucous, riotous noise from the back seat
Me: Girls, stop. Let's talk one at a time. Liv, what did you want to say?
Olivia: I think we should pay our tithing first and that would be a good idea.
John: Good job, Olivia, that's exactly right.
Me: Mimi, what did you want to say?
Mimi: I'm sad because the Nephites took all the popcorn.
John and I exchange confused glances and almost respond when . . .
Olivia: No, Mimi, the Nephites didn't take the popcorn. The Nephites nailed Jesus's hands. That's the problem.

We'll be addressing these doctrinal issues very soon. Apparently we haven't covered them clearly enough.

14 comments:

Keriann said...

So right before nursery, someone came in and popped some popcorn. All the kids wanted then was popcorn. We kept telling them that someone took the popcorn. I guess Mimi drew the conclusion that the Nephites took it. So if you know who really had the popcorn in church today, you can tell them that they are the Nephites.

Keriann said...

Oh, by the way, those glasses are very styling. I made myself a pair and was wearing them through most of nursery. I got some good looks from some of the kids and other teachers.

Kenna said...

The Young Men/Young Women apparently took popcorn to sunday school as a farewell for Jesse and the Shorts who will be going to Elder's Quorum soon. They are the ones that popped the popcorn before nursery.

Jonas said...

I think you should count the fact that she can identify Jesus, Nephites, and popcorn as a success. It would be too much to expect them to be put together properly.

Kent and Leisy said...

I laughed out loud. I cannot wait for zeb to speak.

Julie Sacks said...

This is my favorite part of kids, they really do say the darndest things!

Kate said...

Oh my goodness. I'm laughing so hard. I love it.
And after reading Kenna's comment, I just have to say.... Jesse and the Shorts are going to EQ??! I guess I thought they'd stay 16 forever... since that's how old they were when we left Toledo.

Kate said...

Maybe they were already 17.... we haven't been gone THAT long....

Beth said...

I love your girls for their senses of style and conversations with them always made me laugh. I am way impressed that Olivia realized on her own what she should be doing during the sacrament - I have to admit that I am sometimes thinking about Barney, or more likely my wiggly toddler. Thanks Livi for setting a good example for me to refocus my thoughts. What great girls!

Lyle said...

I wonder if these stories would be as funny in person, or if it takes Emilee's touch to emphasize just the right words. In any event, I chuckle inside every time I think about Majesty struggling to put Barney out of her mind. Another thing, a general concern; if a baby boy should happen to be sent to your home, would this tight female threesome be able to figure out a way to include him in their lives, or would he have to be sent to Utah to soak in testosterone?

brittani c. said...

Love the eyeglasses. They totally rock.

Anonymous said...

Your girls are adorable! I would be a little miffed too if I smelt popcorn in church and didn't get any.

Lyle said...

I used story #1 in my sacrament meeting talk today, along with another story from my Primary visit last week. I wanted to introduce the story of the Samaritan woman at the well by talking about how water is the only thing we want when we are thirsty. One little boy would not agree. He said, "Pepsi." Oops.

dtravelbug said...

Emilee, I laughed so hard I literally spit onto my monitor, and I still have tears streaming down my face. Livi rocks!!! Love that girl!!