Saturday, December 8, 2007

Pride Goeth Before

The following post has been copied from my family's blog. It was written by my dad, and makes me laugh so hard. We are, obviously, now in Monticello, having made it through 7 of our 10 scheduled interviews. All editorial comments to my dad's post will be made in italics.

On Wednesday, Emilee came into the house, very upset. She had tried to back the gold Cobalt (my dad's work car) out of the garage and driveway and had caught the front bumper cover on the back of the pickup (my mom's paper-delivering vehicle), which was parked South of the driveway. The bumper cover, the headlight, and the wheel cover were all torn off. I took advantage of the disaster to emphasize a point I had always wanted to make, that cars should not be parked South of the driveway, because we either block Juan's (our neighbor's) driveway or ours, "and this is exactly the result."

The Cobalt damage was restricted entirely to plastic parts, and with John's able assistance (more than anything John likes to find car parts and fix broken cars--the reason why he liked surgery so much), I think we can assemble everything we need to fix it for less than the deductible, and save reporting it to the insurance company.

This morning, I started up the Tahoe (my parent's very large SUV) to help Dallin (my youngest brother) deliver papers. The windows were frosted, so I improvised a scraper to clear a little space right in front of me, reasoning that I would soon defrost the windows. I backed out of the driveway and then cranked the wheel to the right to head up the street. I had been cautious about backing out, so I was not far out in the street. My left wheel went up over the curb. I was just thinking how that was no big deal, when my front bumper hit Em's van, breaking the grille and denting the hood. John had parked the van North of the driveway the night before in strict adherence to my new rule (I had reminded him of the rule when we had come back from his parents' ward party), which I now wish I had never made.

Don't get me wrong. I still believe it is a bad idea to park South of the driveway unless you are an excellent driver and parker. Which John is. And, apparently, I am not.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO!!! pretty funny. thankfully i stumbled onto your blog today. i needed the laugh :-)

dtravelbug said...

Kudos to your dad for posting this! Did you get my email? I'm glad my postcard finally arrived. I have updated my blog with the Malaysia portion. I've listened to Liv's message several times; please thank her and give her a HUGE hug to share with Mimes.

Elizabeth Reid said...

Ouch! Crazy that with all that driving your car got hurt while it was parked.... Maybe you can make up a really amazing story to tell people, like how your car got dented while helping a stranded child, or an old woman, or while rescuing some endangered animal, something like that.....

Kent and Leisy said...

that was really really funny. how did the other interviews go??! glad to hear that you are all alive and well(even if all vehicles are slightly damaged)!

Kate said...

Oh no! Sorry about the car accidents, but this was really funny!

Shelly and Ken said...

See what ya get when ya listen to your parents! Sorry about your car. Makes a great story though.

Rindi said...

Wow...it's amazing that that all happened together! So funny! Good luck on the interviewing!

brittani c. said...

We had a similar experience with Andrew's Xterra. A teenager across the street backed out of the driveway (she doesn't know how to use a rear-view window) and hit us while we were parked on the side of the street. And it happened a week before we had to move and take it out to Ohio. Not my kind of fun.
We miss you guys and hope interviews are going wonderfully.

Lyndsay said...

Man, Emilee, our dads have some MOVES. I loooved the elf dance!
My sister backed into my grandma's car with my car once while I was taking a nap. My dad told me that I could make her fix/pay for the damage if I wanted to. Luckily (?) I soon got in a wreck that damaged the same portion of the car, so I didn't have to send threatening letters to my sister and the damage got fixed. I wouldn't recommend a similar solution.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! What luck. At least it is one great story!