Sunday, February 24, 2008

Delicious!

This recipe was a sample in our cooking group (Thanks, Kim!) clear back in September or October, but I haven't made it since then. It was even better than I remembered it. The recipe gives instructions for making your own cinnamon tortilla chips, but I used Honey Graham sunchips as an experimental substitute and YUM! It was a delightful addition to our finger food party with Jason and April.

I actually used the Honey Graham chips, but I think these would also be delicious.

Here's the recipe:

Apple Berry Salsa (from cookingcache.com since I couldn't open my e-mail to get the recipe Kim sent out)
2 medium Granny Smith apples, chopped (the recipe says to peel and chop, but I liked the green skin for color)
1 cup strawberries, sliced (I chopped, not sliced, them up to make the salsa's texture finer)
1 kiwi, peeled and chopped
1 small orange
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. apple jelly (I'd never heard of this, but I found it easily in the jam section, and it's as cheap as grape jelly)

Combine apples, strawberries, and kiwi in a bowl. Zest and juice the orange, then put both the zest and juice in a small bowl. Add the brown sugar and apple jelly. (I actually skipped the brown sugar, since Jason and April have have given up sweets for Lent, and it was still delicious. I think brown sugar would make it even more delicious, since everything is just that much better with a little brown sugar.) Stir the zesty stuff together and pour over the fruit. Serve with cinnamon or Honey Graham chips. So refreshing and fun.

I should have taken a picture, since none of the recipes I can find online include a picture. Darn it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you... Jason has not stopped praising you for this since you guys left with the bowl! He's told everyone who has called how Emilee made this fantiastically wonderful fruit salsa! He's already asked twice if I can get the recipe and USE it! It was delicious! If you don't mind... when I've finally made it I'd like to post it on my cookbook page! Of course the Kudo's would go to you! YummYumm!
Thanks for a fun time, and great conversation... it was great to see you guys again! Hopefully one more time before the big move...maybe...

Kent and Leisy said...

good plug on the brown sugar. it really does make everything THAT much better :)

Susanne said...

Emilee this sounds sooo good. It sounds like a recipe to beat the winter blues.

Carolyn said...

Just surfing thru Blogger and found you. Very nice Blog. Keep up the good work.

Carolyn