Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Last Day of Gymnastics

The girls have been in gymnastics class for the past six weeks down at the Y. Their teacher has been darling, and we've loved going. Today was the last day, and because of the crazy snowstorm, it was only us and a little boy named Mateo that showed, out of a normal 8-9 kids. (Some moms are clearly not desperate enough to get out of the house.) I took some video footage of my girls and their excellent innate gymnastic skill. :) Since neither John nor myself have been publicly recognized for our athleticism, I thought I would show what our children can do. (Livi can follow directions very well--definitely an athletic talent. Mimi dances her way through life, but certainly not in a straight line, and those bouncer balls are WAY too big for her peanut-sized self.)

7 comments:

Beth said...

Wow, I would get dizzy doing that many summersaults in a row! The likes of which are way harder to do than I remember. Kurt and I both have "modeled" for Kiersten and each of us came out of our tucks whining. Way to go girls, we need to visit Toledo so you can show us the proper technique!

Story Family said...

Way to go girls! Those are definitely praise-worthy skills. I just loved Livi's smile as she finished her mile of somersaults and then bounced right off. And those things really are harder than they look...Scott and I both modeled for the kids and while I was the picture of grace (pointed toes and all) Scott literally broke every spring in the lower half of our 'jumping bed'. Best left to the likes of young, cute, agile girls...

Anonymous said...

Yippeeee! Great job staying on the mat all the way to the end! Those were some of the best summersaults I've ever seen! I do appreciate the fact that Mimi has decided she can do just as well whether she starts from a standing position or a sitting one! I love it.... And the bouncy ball; you guys must've had some fun!

dockters said...

That video of Mimi bouncing on the ball gave me the giggles so bad! I love it! What a fun class for your girls to take.

Emilee said...

I have to admit, I wasn't aware there was going to be quite so much "crack" in those videos when I uploaded them. Poor Livi with no bum.

mags said...

Avery has the same bum problem, I'm considering using duct tape, since that seems like my only option. I love your blog Em. one day when we are all in Monticello again, let's go wood haulin' with our kids, even if no one really is needing wood, let's do it any way. just to play in the trees, and pee on the trees, and eat a good picnic. We can just give all the wood to Bennion.

Lyndsay said...

VERY impressive!
This made me revisit the abrupt end to my gymnastics career in 6th grade when I grew too tall to go pro. I also had a shining moment in competition where I two leaping passes when I forgot my routine. I felt SO clever.
Best of luck to your gymnasts!