Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sweeping Booty


John and I decided, living as we do in South Bend--the hub of all things cultural, that we would each take the girl on a one-on-one date to some fun event. After browsing through ArtsEverywhere.org, we found two that really fit the bill.
Option 1) Sleeping Beauty, the ballet
Option 2) If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, the play

Now, if you've met our children, the decision of which child should go to which event was glaringly obvious. And with a quick glance at John's schedule, the decision of which parent should go was also immediately decided. So, Friday night, John and Naomi headed off to the ballet.

Of course, the appropriate outfit for the event had been chosen much earlier in the week. And the accessories were chosen the day before, after some deliberation. And the question of day and time was answered again and again and again. I thought there was nothing left to worry about during Friday's dinner. I was wrong.

As she slowly chewed her food, I could tell Mimi had one last concern. She looked at me and with wide eyes, asked, "What if when I get to the ballet, they want me to dance on the stage? I mean, I know ballet [she's never taken a class], but I don't know the kind of ballet they do."
What indeed is a girl to do under those circumstances? It's a worry I deal with myself on occasion. I've been to concerts where I am quite sure they are going to need another trumpet player, and what if they pick me?

The performance was a roaring success. John said he could hardly keep Mimi in her seat while the dancers were on stage. She was absolutely determined to pirouette and arabesque in the aisles. And when it was over, Naomi and John met Princess Aurora , which nearly caused Mimi to faint with excitement.

On the drive home, Mimi had a marvelous idea. "Dad," she said, "Tomorrow we should all dance. I will be Aurora [of course], Olivia will be Merryweather, you will be Prince Phillip, Mom will be Malificent [thanks a lot], and Bella will be the spindle." Do you think Bella will play a spindle with the same passion that Naomi puts into Aurora?

9 comments:

adventure knitter said...

haha!! that's AWESOME! a spindle...

Bonnie said...

Too cute! How fun she could go with her dad! She is such a cute girl! I love it!

Susanne said...

Oh that is such a darling story. I could imagine every gesture. What a fun tradition. Mimi looks so cute.

Annie and Justin said...

MIMi is so big!! I can't believe how time flys, your kiddos are darling, I am so glad that you guys are having a great time in INdiana!

Irish Cream said...

That is absolutely adorable! It is amazing what goes on in the minds of 4-year-olds.

By the way, as far as villain-esses go, I think Maleficent is one of the best- she's got the cool castle, all the magic, and she looks great for her age! Hopefully, tho', you don't match her in your swift and vast revenge. :)

The Brady Bunch said...

What a funny story. I love Mimi as much as Luke does. Her imagination is the cutest thing ever. She looked just as cute as Ryan did on Sunday. They both have great fashion taste and are not afraid to use it.

Sara said...

I want to twirl that little Sleeping Beauty about the air! I love that Mimikins.

Outlandish McCandlish said...

So did they ask her up on the stage to dance... I'm sure they wanted too.

Mike and Kelly said...

Oh, my friend Mimi, you look so beautiful. I do not think that Aurora herself could have picked a better outfit. And WHEN (not if) you get to dance on stage, please let me know. I would pay big money to see something so beautiful.