Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tour de Neighborhood

Liv has been freaking out about riding her bike without training wheels for about three months. And by "freaking out", I mean "bursting into tears when the topic is mentioned, and sobbing uncontrollably as her incredibly mean parents push her bike to the stop sign and back". Well, after walking group Monday morning, we came home and she wanted to give it a try. Five minutes later (I am no exaggerating), we had this.

I am posting these little videos for a few reasons:
1) As historical reminders to myself that Olivia always pulls through. Just when I think the sobbing and fits and bawling over a new experience (a new experience such as walking, potty training, swimming, preschool, kindergarten, a.k.a. EVERYTHING) are going to drive both of us to suicide, she succeeds. And she succeeds fantastically.
2) As a prompt for a discussion about rewards vs. bribes. I decided that I would offer Olivia a reward for learning to ride her bike with no training wheels. If she could make it from our driveway to the stop sign and back with no assistance from me whatsoever, she could pick something out of our present box. Is this a bribe? Or a reward? (And is a reward the same thing as "positive reinforcement"?)
3) As a little chisel to my vanity. I hate my voice as recorded, but it probably does me good to hear it and post it anyway.

9 comments:

Sara said...

So dang impressive Liv! Holy Smokes.

I never met a bribe I didn't like.

Michelle said...

Great Job Olivia! It is so exciting to learn to ride a bike without training wheels.

A reward, bribe, positive reinforcement, I guess they are all about the same but if they get positive results, then I am all for it!

Millie @ The Busy Butlers said...

Way to go Olivia! That's awesome! And hey, if "positive reinforcement" does the trick, I'm not at all opposed. By the way, I LIKED hearing your voice. :) Kinda missed it.

Shelly and Ken said...

Way to go Olivia!!

Jeff and Larissa said...

I agree that they're all the same thing, and adults do things for rewards too. Everyone need the appropriate motivation!

The Ziemers said...

Great riding, Olivia! Unfortunately we did not have as much luck at our first try with Jared. He does great with the riding, but the starting, stopping, and turning were a LOT harder to do. I think he is going to keep the training wheels for a little while longer. . . Maybe I should try the bribe/reward. . .

bec said...

Em, I love these. I love your voice saying how proud you are of this girl. Maddy just started walking (17 mos) and my buttons are bursting.

Annie said...

you have been slacking on your primary responsibility in life. to make me happy by consistent blogging. get to it.

Stephanie said...

That is impressive, Celine is still working on it, great joy Liv! Glad you remember to capture all of these things on tape and share them with us. She is a girl who knows her mind, and sometimes her Mama's too, huh? We love and miss you, when will we see you again?