Thursday, September 22, 2011

Projects

Can you believe how lucky I am that this is my kitchen?  I love everything about it.  
Just kidding, of course.  But I did love those barstools so very very much.  And I love seeing them on all sorts of shows (Peter and Elli Burke's kitchen on "White Collar" being my favorite example).  So, when I went to Ikea a couple months ago, I was determined to purchase them.  Regardless of cost.  
Except, by "regardless of cost" I didn't mean "even if they were $70 each, which they were, in Draper.  $70!  I couldn't justify it for a temporary rental kitchen.  So I bought these guys from Wal-Mart, for $28 each.  I like them about half as much as my dream stools, but since they were less than half the cost and I can't be sure I'll even have a bar in my real house,  (Where is that real house, by the way?) they work just fine.  

However, they had a microfiber seat that was nearly impossible to keep clean.  And Bella insists on eating both breakfast and lunch on the stools every day, so the yogurt spills were really getting to me.  

So, I went fabric shopping.  Online.  And I found this:

Laminated cotton might just be the best fabric on the planet for the purpose of recovering dining room chairs and barstools.  My Michael Miller print on the dining chairs has held up FABULOUSLY for the time it's been on there (all those spills just wipe away), so I was pretty sure this would be great.

The lighting in these pictures is terrible, because it was 10:30 p.m. when I finished, but I'm delighted.  The scale on this print is a lot bigger than I pictured from the online picture, but I think I like it even better than the small version I had envisioned.
Now, I'd really like to spray the black part of these stools ivory.  Or aqua.  However, I'm pretty sure black'll hold up to as many yogurt spills as Bella can dish out, so that's the color they'll probably stay.

What do you think of the change?  Should I have used something bolder like this?  Something quirkier, like this?   (I honestly considered the bikes for a good while.  I love those bikes.  I'll have to make something out of them someday.)  Something more understated, like this?  And while we're on the topic of my neutral, neutral rental kitchen, does anyone have any ideas about adding some color to the room if painting the walls is not an option?

9 comments:

Lyndsay said...

I believed you initially about that being a picture of your kitchen--and for the record, I was jealous but happy for you.
I love the new seat covers! Could you do a [matte] metallic for the black of the stools?

Emilee said...

Ooh, I like the idea of a metallic.

Outlandish McCandlish said...

I like the bikes but not the others but I think you did fine with the choice you made. You might wanna add some color with canisters on the counters or funky plates on the walls. Not seeing to much of your kitchen in these pictures I don't know what kinda space you are dealing with.

The Ziemers said...

I am very jealous of your craftiness! I always have great ideas but just can't convince myself to spend the money to make them a reality! Just curious, are you living in Roosevelt? I really don't know a single thing to do there, but if you are ever in Vernal, the rec center has an awesome indoor swimming pool with a kids center that your kids would love! And it is only $3 or $3.50, something like that. We go there every time we visit!

dusty and meag said...

the barstools rock and White Collar is our favorite show! I knew I liked you...good taste in television, fabric, and bar stools! You are one crafty little witch!

Melissa Corry said...

I love that Micheal Miller print. I think you choose well!!

dtravelbug said...

I too believed you about the first picture being your kitchen -- that was mean, Em. I liked your choice of fabrics best, but I am really diggin the metallic paint idea to go with! As for pops of color, yes, can we see more of the kitchen? I liked the canisters idea, and maybe a vase or shelf/boxes (what are those called that are like square shelves?) -- you could paint several things to match, perhaps so you don't compete too much with all of the colors (albeit neutral) already in the counter and floor. How exciting -- I love watching your creativity happen :)

brittani c. said...

I struggle with white walls too. I try to splash color and dimension around, but paint really does make a difference. I think once I find some colorful curtains, I might not complain about my white walls as much.

Love your bar stools. :)

Elizabeth Reid said...

My kitchen is very neutral because I am afraid of color on my walls (afraid that I'll go through all the time and effort of painting and then end up hating it) so I like to add dashes of color with bright towels, place mats, and rugs.

We got our stools from Wal-mart as well. I think you have a newer version though. I LOVE the fabric you added! I can barely sew a button on so my poor stools have seen more than their fair share of spills. That dang fabric shows everything!